Generally speaking, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) associated with Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if you
- Are a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the least three years
- Have now been residing in marital union using the exact same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
- Meet all other eligibility needs under this section
In some situations, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for naturalization irrespective of their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under part 319(b) regarding the INA.
For information associated with spouses of army people, see our people in the Military and their loved ones web page. Additionally for information on learning to be a permanent resident or petitioning for family relations, please check out our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
An applicant must to be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA
- Be 18 or older
- Be a permanent resident (Green Card holder) for at the very least 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have already been surviving in marital union using the U.S. resident partner, who has been a U.S. resident during every one of such duration, throughout the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or more until assessment regarding the application
- Have lived in the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction on the applicant’s destination of residence, for at the very least three months ahead of the date of filing the application form
- Have actually constant residence in the us as a lawful resident that is permanent at least three years straight away preceding the date of filing the applying
- Live constantly in the united states of america from the date of application for naturalization before the time of naturalization
- Be physically contained in the usa for at the very least eighteen months from the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Manage to read, write, and talk English and now have knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. government and history(also called civics)
- Be someone of good ethical character, connected to the concepts regarding the Constitution associated with the united states of america, and well disposed towards the good purchase and joy associated with the united states of america during all appropriate durations beneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of a U.S. resident who’s utilized by the U.S. federal federal government, such as the armed forces, or other qualifying manager, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad such work for at the very least 12 months during the time of filing, could be entitled to naturalization under part 319(b) of this INA.
As a whole, a partner of the U.S. citizen employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to an admission that is lawful permanent residence during the time of assessment from the naturalization application as well as enough time of naturalization, and meet of all of the needs mentioned above except that:
- No particular period being a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (nevertheless the partner must certanly be a permanent try this website resident)
- No certain amount of constant residence or real existence in the usa is necessary
- No particular amount of marital union is necessary; but, the spouses should be in a legitimate wedding at the full time of filing before the period of naturalization.
Note: you have to also establish which you will leave abroad right after naturalization and that you would like to have a home in the usa straight away upon the termination of one’s spouse’s work abroad.